Carissa's Exploits and Fabulous Adventures




Japan Round Two

Wednesday, April 09, 2003

I was doing my tourism reading on ecotourism I came across the following quote: "safaris in which tourists pursue Zimbabwean elephants with paint guns." The thought so infuriated me that I had to share it. I don't understand how harrassing elephants with paint guns is considered good for the environment. Are these safari goers sadists? Do they get a strange thrill out of torturing elephants that were most likely minding their own business? Or are they making a fashion statement "Gray is sooo out this season." It never fails to amaze me how ridiculously stupid humans can be. Everytime I am reading something that impresses me about the human soul and resilience, I read something else about a random act of stupidity committed by a fellow human. Listed below are several examples from both sides, humans as stupid and enlightened.

Also found in my tourism reading:
The World Broccoli Capital is located in Crystal City, Texas
The World Garlic Capital is located in Gilroy, CA (I have been to Gilroy as scary as that is)
The World's Largest Buffalo is in Jamestown, North Dakota.

I wanted to show you a picture of a Mughol king, we ruled in India from 1556-1605. His name was Akbar, and although he was Muslim he believed people had the right to worship any religion and gathered people from all religions and ethnic backgrounds into his court. Although he never learned to read he loved philosphy and art and would have people read classics to him or commission paintings. He was outgoing, open-minded, tolerant and fair. (On a side note, his grandson was the builder of the Taj Mahal).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home