Carissa's Exploits and Fabulous Adventures




Japan Round Two

Thursday, July 17, 2003

I grew up hating the concept of war and distrustful of our government when it comes to war. I think it is because my parents were young during Vietnam, their generation suffered so much in the Vietnam war that many of those ideas were ingrained into my mind from a young age. I'm not distrustful of all military, I just don't like the idea of the US getting involved in situations around the world where we don't belong. When this war started I was very unhappy. It just sounded so much like Vietnam to me, I was sure that bad things were going to happen. Everyone told me that it was going to be a fast war and I was worried over nothing. It was a fast war, but we haven't left yet, and that continues to worry me. I was reading in TIME magazine last night about the soldiers who have been killed since the war "officially" ended and I realized that many of them aren't just my age, but are younger than me. It's my generation that is fighting, and that scared me. Well frankly the whole thing scares me.

The Washington Post today reported that the government has finally admitted we are fighting a guerilla war (go here for the story). I don't know why we ever think that we can win a guerilla war. That is how we won the Revolutionary war; we as a nation have always been proud of how we beat the British by refusing to conform to the traditional forms of warfare. We knew the land better than they did, we were fighting on our soil for a cause that our soldiers were fully committed to. The British were fighting not to protect their homes, families or way or life, but because their government told them to. We beat the British using guerilla warfare, so why do we now think that we will ever be able to stop the Iraqis who are using that same style? I'm not going to say that I have an answer to what we should do now that we are in there, but I think it is ridiculous of our government to have forgotten so much of history.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home