Carissa's Exploits and Fabulous Adventures




Japan Round Two

Monday, September 30, 2002

OK, so there is always so much to say.

Friday we went camping in the mountains, I don't know where exactly because I keep forgetting the name, but it was lots of fun. There were 13 students and our professor and we stayed in a cute little Japanese style lodge. We had chicken, salad and french bread (I love french bread and we never eat it over here). Then we made sukiyaki and sat around talking all night. The next morning we didn't roll out of bed until around 10 and then we went hiking. Actually I woke up at 7am and went on my own hike before everyone else got up. There was a beautiful waterfall and stream near the lodge, so I took my shoes off and walked up the stream. When my friend Rebekah got back from her hike we discovered that there are leeches in Japan. I had never seen a leech before so it was a new and interesting (if somewhat gross) discovery. We all went on a longer hike up to another waterfall, and a few of us decided to brave the leeches and went into the water. Once we got back we realized that the people who went into the water didn't have problems with leeches (although there was one in my shoe it hadn't bit me yet). Apparently the leeches sit on the shoreline and climb up people's socks. Someone even said that they will fall out of trees onto you. EWWWWWW!!!! I kep having nightmares about leeches.

Sunday Rebekah and I went to an Ikebana exhibit. Some of the arrangements were very pretty, but some of them I wondered what the people were thinking. There were a few hideous arrangements. After the flower show we went shopping in JR towers (which is a mall on the 12, 13, and 14th floors of a building over the Nagoya train station). We went to a fabulous Italian restaurant and had tiramisu for dessert. YUM! I should have studied in Italy. They don't serve fried green gelatin there. After lunch we went to the Nagoya City Museum and saw a Magritte Exhibit. It was really incredible. The museum's permanent collection had a really wide variety of peices, from Chagall to Frieda Kohla to Diego Rivera. It was really neat. We went to a yakiniku place for dinner (which is like Korean Kalbi). They had tongue which was delicious, but the stomach and intestines were not so good. A bit too chewy.

Today was my first day of Japanese Econ and the professor is a riot. He said the whole class is centered on what is wrong with the Japanese Economy. He said that there is nothing in Nebraska but cows (I thought Lindsay would appreciate that) and that Japanese students are lazy and stupid. He is writing a book in English and thinks his editor is crazy and he was asking our advice about certain words to use and told us we should write to his editor and tell her she is crazy. Jonathan (also from GW) and I want to put him in a suitcase and bring him back to GW. ''Pres. Tractenberg, we brought you a new professor.'' Now I'm off to see what the swim team is like. Wish me luck.

Oh, and I made friends today!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home