Carissa's Exploits and Fabulous Adventures




Japan Round Two

Tuesday, September 24, 2002

So quick summary of the weekend:

Friday: McDonald's day. We have started a trend of giving in and treating ourselves to McD's once a week. It's really not too expensive, the sizes are just smaller (aka normal). After school we went to dinner at the spagetthi house and then sang karaoke! I love karaoke!

Saturday: After breakfast I was recruited to the kitchen. Whoever said Japanese moms don't make you cook was wrong. Very very wrong. I helped to make these odd little dumplings called dango. They tasted like gooey rice. I made 60 of them. Then I had to make rice cakes covered in bean paste. I didn't actually get to eat any of it because it was all taken to the grave of my host grandmother and offered to her. It was interesting to get to cook though. Saturday night we went to an Italian Restaurant because Okasan (mother) was too tired to cook. It was pretty good food, but the best part was that we saw Taiho. He plays for the Dragon's baseball team. No�@one in America will have the slightest clue of who he is,�@but over here he is very popular, so it was exciting.

Sunday: Rebekah and I went hiking at Nagiso. We caught a 7:30 am train but missed our stop because the refreshment cart wouldn't get out of the way. We were really mad. So we got off at the next stop. Got bad directions and wasted an hour hiking up and down a mountain (although we got to talk to a little old lady on her farm, and there are cows in Japan, I heard one). Then we walked 3 miles back to a different train station where we got to our original desination around 2pm. Then we took a bus to the top of a mountain and saw a bunch of little authentic villages and hiked down the mountain. The whole area was incredibly beautiful. Sunday night Shana, the Fukuoka's last exchange student, came out to dinner with us. She is very nice, and is going to teach English near here for Aeon. The cool thing about Aeon is that they have Ewan McGregor on all of their posters. I'm trying to obtain one for Liz. It's tres amusing.

Monday: Another holiday off from school (this time for the Autumnal Equinox) I finished up some homework. Took a nap, was incredibly lazy. I took a walk for a few hours just to get out of the house. I found the 100 yen store (which is about 90 cents). And I hiked up a hill to a temple that overlooks 3/4 of Nagoya. It was a beautiful crisp day. Not hot, but not quite cold. I could see most of the city contrasted against a clear blue sky. When I got to the top there was a man playing jazz on his saxaphone. That really made my day. When I got home I was again recruited into cooking, this time it was good food though. I made pumpkin curry and what looked like cheese eggrolls, and some other stuff. If I keep helping out with the cooking I will be a gourmet chef when I get home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home