Carissa's Exploits and Fabulous Adventures




Japan Round Two

Saturday, August 14, 2004

Fabulous week of vacation.

Monday we went to a beautiful beach called Isu-hama (Crystal Beach because the water is so clear). I even got the courage up to jump off a huge cliff with loads of people watching- I didn't cry or lose my bikini so all was well. We went on a "Scrambler" ride behind a boat too. The Scrambler is like a giant air matress that is dragged behind a boat and it flies into the air everytime it hits a wave- loads of fun. Dad- you should definitely get one for the lake!

Wednesday I went to Mikuni Beach and spent the day and then watched the fireworks in the evening. They pour millions of dollars into this fireworks display and it is well worth it. They launched fireworks from the side of the bay as well as straight from a barge being dragged slowly around by a boat. The crowds after the fireworks made me wonder if it was worth it (took over 3 hours to get back to Fukui- normally a 1 hour trip).

Thursday I went to Kanazawa to visit my host family and we drove up the Noto peninsula to a famous Zen temple called Sojiji. The cliffs along the peninsula were stunningly beautiful. Friday we went to a bug zoo and I got to pick up giant beetles and butterflies (once again I didn't wimp out). Friday afternoon I volunteered at a nursing home with my host mother. We taught the seniors a dance for O-bon (festival for the dead. This week is when the spirits of dead ancestors and family members return to earth, kindof like halloween but not as scary).

Today (Saturday) we drove south in Ishikawa prefecture through the mountains. We saw Tedori River and a huge damn built of rocks. We had amazing soba and tofu in Hakusan and went to a spring and castle in Ono (a town in Fukui prefecture). It was a lot of fun. My host brother had left a CD of disco music in the car the last time he was in town, so my host parents and I drove through the majestic scenary singing "I will Survive" and doing the "YMCA"!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home