Carissa's Exploits and Fabulous Adventures




Japan Round Two

Saturday, October 09, 2004

Busy busy weekend. Today (Saturday) work was canceled because of a typhoon, but by the time I woke up the typhoon was gone, it even stopped raining. Tomorrow I am going to another Yosakoi performance (yeah!). I can't figure out where we are dancing or what the occasion is, but someone is picking me up and it sounds like fun. Then, this is the exciting part, Monday I am going to a wedding! I get to watch the ceremony on a closed circuit TV (only the family takes part in the actual ceremony) and then go to the wedding reception afterwards! I am so excited! The bride, my co-worker Miho, isn't even going to have a western style wedding dress, only a kimono (most brides in Japan have both). In Japan the custom when you go to a wedding is to put $300 into an envelope and hand it to the bride and groom (you have to buy a special kind of envelope of course). Miho realizes that Sean and I don't have $300 sitting about so she said we could skip that tradition, whew that's a relief eh? I bought her a really beautiful vase though (also rather large and heavy, good thing I'm not riding my bike to the wedding). I will report later on what happens at the wedding. The only lousy part of the weekend is that we all have to go back to work Monday after the wedding to make up for getting today off (I suppose the bride gets out of that though).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home