Carissa's Exploits and Fabulous Adventures




Japan Round Two

Saturday, April 14, 2007

Unintended Consequences.

This blog is going to have to change drastically. No longer am I being blown around the world by the trade winds. My wanderings have slowed for now. I seem to have taken root and am attempting to grow (which can be a challenge anywhere, but especially in the desert).

What should this blog become though? Do I have a concsious choice or will it evolve in its own way, moderately shaped by me, but in control of its own destiny. I suppose that is to be seen.

For now I thought it would be interesting to put some of my observations of the political system. I am deeply immersed in it as a lobbyist in the Nevada State Legislature. Anyone who knows me is aware of my love for government. My first job in high school was not the typical waitress position, instead I was campaign staff for a state campaign. I loved my government class in high school, I was drawn to DC by the allure of being closer to the seat of power in our country. Despite all I thought I knew, I am constantly discovering more. And rather than being discouraged by this exposure I have actually been inspired. Yes money talks and legislators listen to lobbyists and don't always follow what their constituents want. But I don't think that is the rule. From what little I have seen, the legislators are genuinely trying to make our state a better place. They want to do the right thing. I can see how difficult it is though because any decision that is made will have positive effects for one group but negative effects for another group. If you give money to education that is less money available to fix the roads. If money is given to hire more staff that is money that isn't going to help people with disabilities. They have a monumental task juggling all of those demands, and I don't envy them. But I do respect them.

Of course it is a bit concerning that the favorite phrase this session seems to be "Unintended Consequences." Good name for a band though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home