Carissa's Exploits and Fabulous Adventures




Japan Round Two

Monday, October 28, 2002

I went to Kyoto this weekend. It was amazing. Incredible. Fabulous! Saturday we took the Shinkansen from Nagoya, visited Sanjusangendo (the temple to Kannon), Kinkakujin (Temple of the Golden Pavilion) , and Ginkaku-ji (Temple of the Silver Pavilion). I absolutely loved it! Friday night we ate dinner while Geisha (A Maiko-san and Geiko-san) performed for us. Maiko-san are like Geisha in training. They become Maiko-san after they finish junior high school until they are 21. Then if they have finished all of their training and are ready they can become geisha. They were very beautiful and poised and we were able to talk to them for awhile and ask them questions.

Sunday we went to Kyomizudera, and a bunch of other temples. I loved Kyomizudera. I was ready to move in. I actually picked out the spot where I want my hut to go. I figure that instead of becoming a professional flower arranger I can become a philospher and sit on the mountain looking over Kyoto for the rest of my life and think. It will be kindof like being a monk, but I can think about whatever I want. It is a great plan. The maple trees were beginning to turn red and the light glittered off the leaves and the sky was blue and clear and the smell of incense was in the air, everything was peaceful, quiet, calm and I could see all of Kyoto and I felt like I was standing on the top of the world. There are certain moments that you want to live in forever. They usually don't last long, but they make an impression on you. That is how I felt on top of the mountain. I wanted to stay in that moment forever and ever. Happy and at peace with myself and the world.

"I love
My hut
At the foot of the Moon-awaiting Mountain
And the reflection
Of the sinking sky"
Shogun Ashikaga Yoshimasa (1436-1490)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home