Carissa's Exploits and Fabulous Adventures




Japan Round Two

Tuesday, December 02, 2003

Cockroaches are supposed to be dead by now. Seriously, it's December, didn't they get the memo? Instead I walked into my apartment the other day to find a 2-inch cockroach (without the antenae) sitting on my futon. Now I will admit that it is a comfy futon, but it is a strictly human only futon, and cockroaches are not invited. So I called John down to kill the stupid thing (I like cockroaches even less than spiders and wasn't going near it myself). John came down with a box of roach traps and proceded to bang the bug to death with the box (probably not what the company had in mind, but it was effective). The stupid thing only stopped wiggling after a long shower in roach spray though. Another huge EWWWWW! This country is just full of them!

Tomorrow I am going to Nagoya to visit my host family. The bus tickets are suprisingly cheap (I like those kinds of surprises). The swimming team at Nanzan invited me to their practice (not to swim, just to say hello) which I thought was very nice. I'm excited about seeing everyone again.

After writing my previous rant about not speaking English with people enough, I went to a bar and made friends with people from Wales and New Zealand (somehwat inteeligent conversation, as intelligent as you can have in a bar). I also made friends with a bar full of Japanese people. Bear's Bar is a great place (conviently located next to my apartment) where everyone is friends. Seriously feels like Cheers. John knew everyone there and after an hour so did I. The low point of the evening was when John decided to sing Christmas carols on the karaoke machine. Ha ha ha. One guy tried to convince me that he was in the Yakuza, but I am doubtful. Seriously, if you were in the Japanese mafia, why would you be hanging out in Fukui? I like the place, but it is certainly not lively or Mafia-esque.

I am trying to grow Thyme in my kitchen. I have a feeling I will fail because of the lack of windows in the kitchen. I would put my plant on the balcony, but I'm afraid the cockroaches would eat it. Actually at the moment there is only dirt and seeds, so maybe they wouldn't eat it. And I don't really know what cockroaches eat, but now I am afraid of my balcony because I am convinced that is where the monster cockroach came from. It could have been running from John's apartment though, he has roach traps every 2 feet throughout the entire apartment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home