Carissa's Exploits and Fabulous Adventures




Japan Round Two

Sunday, January 11, 2004

I have been very bad about blogging. Lately I feel as though there really isn't anything exciting to write about, which I know is ridiculous. I went to Nagoya, Shizuoka and Tokyo for 7 days. I had a great time, but it is difficult to sum up a weeks worth of travel. I loved Tokyo. There weren't alot of sightseeing places, mostly it was spent wandering around looking at neighborhoods and shops and the crazy people. We also managed to see some great bars and restaurants. It is terrible to enjoy so much when I came to live in a foreign country to experience that country, but I loved loved loved going into bars and having most of the clientele be foreigners. It has been a few months since English was the predominate language I heard anywhere (well from native speakers and not 3 year olds).

An albino girl came into school yesterday and might sign up for one of my classes. She is only 2 years old and really sweet. However all of the other students/parents/teachers were staring very rudely. Rather than black hair. she had white hair, pretty blue eyes and very pale skin. One grandmother kept asking me loudly in Japanese if the girl was Japanese or a foreigner (the girls parents were standing right there). It made me realize that coming from America where diversity is normal I am not as shocked by people who are different. I would hate to grow up in Japan if I was different in any way. There really is such an emphasis on uniformity.

I am currently very angry with my manager. I asked if I could take off one day in March (2 months away) and I was told I should wait until a specific week in June. However that week in June I have to go to re-training, so I will have to wait until November. What use is it to give us vacation days if we aren't actually allowed to take them off. This wouldn't be a huge deal, but they are changing my schedule so I only have a 2 day weekend, which means that I won't be able to take advantage of having had the 3 day weekend. They are not being very communicative, and if I didn't keep asking questions every 3 minutes, noone would ever tell me what was happening. Grrrrrr.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home