Carissa's Exploits and Fabulous Adventures




Japan Round Two

Sunday, February 15, 2004

So I finally decided to go skiing by myself. I kept waiting for someone to have a day off with me, but it wasn't going to happen. I couldn't have picked a more perfect day though. I caught a bus at 7:50 in the morning and it took about an hour to get to the resort called Katsuyama Ski-Jam. There was a heavy fog in Fukui as we left but by the time we arrived the fog had burned off and just left whisps around the base of the mountains. It took us through a beautiful view of the snow covered mountains, and I was surprised how much snow there was--easily 8 feet in places. Glad I don't live up there, I would really have trouble riding my bike. I was afraid I would have trouble renting equipment, but I was once again pleasantly surprised-- there was man at the rental place that spoke perfect English (he had studied in Vancouver and really could have been American or Canadian his accent was so perfect). Once I got onto the mountain the snow was good, there weren't many people because it was a Friday (no lines!!!!) and the weather was perfect. I think that is the first day in Japan I have seen where there was no rain, snow, hail or clouds. Amazing! The resort was really big too, it has lifts on the front and back of one mountain and the front of a second mountain with a lodge at the base of the second mountain so you don't have to go back to the first one at lunch. The top of the second mountain was the highest point around and gave a beautiful view in all directions of snow-capped mountains. Japan's geology is quite different from America's because it is so new. There are areas that appear almost flat, and then suddenly dramatic mountains rise up. Not quite as dramatic as South Africa, but close. A wonderfully perfect day (except for the sunburn-- ha ha ha).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home