Carissa's Exploits and Fabulous Adventures




Japan Round Two

Friday, January 23, 2004

Snow snow snow!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't believe that the Japanese have really figured out how to deal with snow either. It has been snowing for several days (serious snow- I had to wade through 2 feet to get out of my apartment building. I have seen exactly one tractor clearing snow and a lot of that sprinkling system that they seem to think clears the snow, but really it just creates huge piles of sludge that I have to walk though. yuck! The one thing I have to say is that despite the ridiculous amount of snow everything is still open. In DC this would constitute a massive emergency and everything (including the government) would be closed for a week. What they lack in common sense (I define common sense as snow plows) they make up for in persistence. I don't envy Aaron though- he probably gets 10 times this amount of snow.

So I figured out the best way to make Japanese friends- join a gym. Everybody wants to talk to the foreigner attempting to work out in the gym. It's great. I don't even have to approach them, they just come up and start talking to me (sometimes in the shower that is a little strange though). One old Japanese woman told me in the onsen the other day that I had thin feet and I wasn't quite sure how to take that, but it was funny. That is one compliment I have never received and never actually thought I would receive. The gym has a great shower though- it's like a Japanese onsen, so they have a sauna and a huge tub for soaking. Plus next to the pool is a jacuzzi and steam room. I use these things as my motivation for going to the gym, but they seem to be a great motivation. I took a yoga class on Wed and it was a lot of fun.

Some links to pictures Aaron took in Tokyo (you might even be able to find the back of my head if you look closely).
TOKYO

I just finished reading "Stupid White Men" by Michael Moore, and although at times he is a bit more liberal than me, he makes some great points about Bush not winning the election. He adds the votes up in many different ways and points out that Bush is not the democratically elected leader he likes to think he is. He then points out that if the same thing had happened in any other country the UN would be throwing a fit and sending in troops to stop the coup. Ha ha ha. Considering they are usually US troops sent in I suppose that wouldn't work in this case. A great book though!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home