Carissa's Exploits and Fabulous Adventures




Japan Round Two

Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Well we are in the middle of a typhoon. The last few typhoons have been very uninteresting (at least in Fukui). We were sent home early one day in September and had class canceled several weeks ago and in both cases the typhoon was little more than some strong rains (but nothing that wouldn't be normal during rainy season). So when they canceled my classes today I really didn't think it would be anything different. But for some reason this one is much scarier. Sean and I went for a walk in the typhoon (before the center hit our area) and the rain and wind was amazing! We only walked around the block to Family Mart (a convience store) and yet we were both soaked completely through by the time we got home. We heard that the river might flood so we went to see and I was shocked at how quickly it was risen. There is a serious chance that the river will flood its banks before the night is over. I happen to live on the other side of the river bank. I live on the second story so I'm not actually in any danger (it still has 5 feet before it floods the river banks so I doubt it could make the additional 15 feet to flood my apartment). It was very frightening to watch the river. Just a few weeks ago we were at a food festival on the river banks and all of that is covered in murky brown water. There are entire trees being swept past and the waves are lapping at the stairs. Growing up in a desert doesn't give me much experience with flooded rivers and typhoons. I have become addicted to the news (even if it is all in Japanese) and I haven't turned it off all night. I keep watching the pictures of what is happening in the rest of Japan in amazement.

In other news I got internet in my apartment today (which gave me something to do all day) and will hopefully be updating my blog more frequently.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home