Carissa's Exploits and Fabulous Adventures




Japan Round Two

Thursday, November 25, 2004

Craziness abounds and much sadness:

So Nic left last night. Selfish of me, but I wanted to say good-bye to her, tell her how much she meant to me and have a good cry as I waved good-bye to her train! Such things were never meant to happen. Her company was supposed to give her the final paycheck yesterday afternoon so that she could pay to mail home her boxes and buy her train ticket to the airport. They didn't give her the money. Very complicated and not worth going into, but when I got to her office at 8pm (she was supposed to catch a 9:30 train) the boxes weren't at the post office (they weren't all packed yet) and she was busy yelling at the people in the head office on the telephone. A bunch of people came to help out and although she missed her train she was able to catch a bus that did get her to the airport in time (barely). It was all so crazy and stressed and horrible. Noone should have to go through all of that on their last day in Japan. She had to run to catch the bus and so there were no long sad farewells just a quick hug and she dashed out the door. I didn't even get to cry (I'd been saving my tears all week, every time I started to cry I would hold off thinking I could just have one big cry at the train station). I got home at 11:30 and wished I had someone to talk to- normally that would be Nic, but her leaving leaves with... and empty apartment upstairs and a big whole in my life. So that is the craziness and sadness of my last 24 hours.

Oh happier notes: I got paid today! I also went to my Japanese lesson this morning (and despite being exhausted) I actually was starting to get it. You'd think I would have gotten it at some point in the past (since I have learned all of these things a million times) but I think it might actually click this time. Having a huge deadline in a week and a half (scary scary test in Kyoto) helps. My sensei looked mildly surprised when I got all the listening questions correct. Just wait until next week...

I was looking up recipes for Nabe (a one-pot stew thing that is tasty tasty). I found a recipe that sounded good until it said that Sumo Wrestlers use it to get bigger. Decided that might not be the recipe I want to use. Instead of losing weight I could come home looking like a sumo wrestler (or a short version of Akebono).... now that would be cute!

Today is Thanksgiving and somehow that fact escaped my notice until now. Happy Thanksgiving!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home