Carissa's Exploits and Fabulous Adventures




Japan Round Two

Tuesday, November 02, 2004

What a lovely day, and in fact the beginning of a lovely week! One of my most difficult students called in sick today (joy of joys) and I only have 3 more (easy) lessons today. Then tomorrow is a holiday! Thursday, Friday and Saturday I have no group lessons! Saturday night I am going to Nagoya! The weather is nice (no more rain ever please!) and I am in a fabulous mood!

I would like to impart some advice to my readers (that sounds so egotistical, makes you wonder if Dear Abby was an egomaniac). Advice on how to survive riding a bike in Fukui, Japan, home of the most reckless drivers in the country. Whenever possible while riding a bike use "car bait" to avoid accidents. Car bait is a bicycle that you ride 4 feet behind, allowing them to do the dangerous work while you trail safely behind. When cars pop suddenly out of driveways or careen violently around corners car bait can help in one of two ways:
1) The car sees the car bait and slams on its breaks. No one is hurt, but you avoid being scared out of your senses (Exercise is a better way to raise your heart rate than near death experiences)
2) The car hits the car bait and not you. You avoid death, which is always a plus.
This may sound terrible to use other people in this way, but I have found myself being car bait in many situations (no matter how fast or slow I go, the bicycle behind me is always several feet behind and won't pass, because then they would become the car bait). Just another average day in the life of moi.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home