Carissa's Exploits and Fabulous Adventures




Japan Round Two

Sunday, January 23, 2005

Maybe it is living in Japan, maybe it is having lots of time to myself, maybe it is nothing, but I tend to walk around writing poetry in my head these days. Everything seems to inspire me. Recently my favorite form has been haiku. I was doing some reading on haiku form (free form vs. strict form) and found an interesting segment. I like the idea of describing things that you experience as a "haiku moment." Douzo:

"The haiku poet cultivates awareness so that s/he may experience some unusually forceful impact coming from ordinary life or from everyday surroundings. The poet is apt to think of these perceptions as 'haiku moments', but without any wish to isolate them, for they are part of the continuous flow of experience and may exemplify life on a timeless scale. We use our senses to observe 'haiku moments'; from which point they are developed, not by ratiocination, but by intuition and a release of emotion. "Haiku is the poetry of meaningful touch, taste, sound, site and smell"(RH Blyth). 'Haiku moments' come normally from personal experience. The pain is to give readers the means to feel as the poet her/himself felt at the time, or maybe differently, without any explicit (and so directive) statements about actual feelings."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home