Carissa's Exploits and Fabulous Adventures




Japan Round Two

Saturday, February 05, 2005

I completely snapped yesterday and kicked a student out of my class (for the first time). It was supposed to be a fun and easy class, just review and games, nothing difficult. One of the 3 students was absent leaving me with a boy and girl (around 12-13 years old). As we started the review it was obvious that the girl remembered it all (having studied during the last year) and the boy didn't remember any of it (having never learned it in the first place). I wasn't too concerned that he didn't know it, but when he completely stopped paying attention I started giving extra points to the girl for paying attention. The boy got really angry that he wasn't getting points, so I asked him some of the same questions I had asked the girl (which we had just reviewed if he was paying attention) and he got them all wrong and I refused to give him points. He got really angry and started to make rude noises, refused to play, and shoved all his points to the girl because I was being so unfair. I've been dealing with him being rude all year and I finally couldn't take anymore of it. I stood up, opened the door and told him to get out of the class. He wouldn't move (the last time I tried to kick him out he gripped the sides of the chairs and refused to get out of his seat and I ended up letting him stay because I physically couldn't move him). I went to find the manager but she was in another class so I stormed back (being very angry by this point) and told him again to get his stuff and get out. He still wouldn't listen to me. Finally Sean came out from his class (I'm assuming he say my angry storming through the window) and told him to leave. Of course the student listens to Sean but not me. The manager finally found him, talked to him and brought him back to the class and made him apologize. He apparently doesn't like the atmosphere of the class because the girl speaks better English than him. When the manager told me this I wanted to say "Well Duh! If you do you homework, pay attention in class and study you are going to speak better English." He wasn't very cooperative for the rest of the class but that was probably because he kept bursting into tears, I do feel bad about that. Crying in front of people (especially as a teenager) can be very embarrassing. I remember one student teacher in middle school I despised mostly because she had made me cry in front of other people (I don't even know that it was her fault really, but I certainly blamed her).

It's really funny being a teacher because I can see so many different types of students. I really do appreciate the students who pay attention and do their homework (they make my life easy), but at the same time some of the more difficult students end up being far more rewarding. My favorite students now were the ones who drove me crazy when I first got here (and still sometimes drive me crazy). Some of the brightest students are also the most boisterous and unless they are challenged or entertained they are bouncing off the walls (and no mom, it's not all ADD). It's also funny to see students and think- that is exactly what I was like as a student. Then I feel really sorry for some of my elementary school teachers. But all of the bouncing off the wall, and boredom I can understand. I can understand being frustrated at not understanding a foreign language (I've felt that since junior high school). I even understand not doing homework, but I just don't get rudeness. I told my manager that I will kick this student out everyday for the rest of the school year (which is over in March) if he keeps being rude to me, I am so fed up with it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home