Carissa's Exploits and Fabulous Adventures




Japan Round Two

Thursday, June 16, 2005

Standing outside in the cold desert air with a towel wrapped around me for warmth I waited for the day to being. Talking as I waited, I made a new friend. Finally, the sky changed from Indigo to pale as purples and pinks snuck around. And at last the lazy sun spread its rays, abandoned the horizon and rose. A sunrise in Jordan. Mysteriously stunning.

The Dead Sea is the lowest point on earth—400m below sea level.
With 25 children from Hattin camp we went to the Dead Sea. It was fun and touristy. We took pictures reading a book while we floated. We rubbed the mud into our skin. Across the Dead Sea we could see Israel. While all the people from the Peaceboat were playing, the children were staring across. Perhaps it was disrespectful, but I didn’t even think about it at the time. Only looking at the pictures afterwards did I notice the children looking thoughtfully into the distance while we played. Off in the distance there were loud explosions every 30 minutes and then huge mushroom clouds of smoke. We were all still a bit on edge being in the Middle East (and only 4 hours from Iraq) and loud explosions and military helicopters didn’t help. I never found out what the explosions were but we all assumed the worst.

After a few hours of shopping in Aqaba and the most delicious food ever, we went back to the boat only to have to say good-bye again. Sometimes I hate leaving ports. We get lots of people on for a few ports, we form close friendships and then we say good-bye with promises to keep in touch. We had to say good-bye to Dr. W and Fadi as well as 6 Sri Lankan students. Dr. W and Fadi were inspiring and educating. The students were just fun. They taught me about Sri Lanka and Buddhist art history and how to properly wear a Saree (because my first few attempts made me look more like I was attending a toga party than a Sri Lankan soree). We danced together in the sports bar. We joked around late at night next to the pool. They were so easy to like and become friends with.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home