Carissa's Exploits and Fabulous Adventures




Japan Round Two

Monday, June 06, 2005

My classes started and they are amazing! My students are really motivated and have great English. I'm a bit surprised but I like the older class (all retirees) better than the class that is full of girls my age. The older students are less shy. They give it 100%. They also have more life experience, so when I ask them to talk about themselves they keep going and going. They know lots more than me, so it's more interesting to be in the class.

We raised $1600 in just a few hours with the book fundraiser. It was incredible! Then to make it even better Le Ly Hayslip (a guest speaker) offered to match anything we raised. Today we went to the orphanage in Sri Lanka and brought them the books, the money and lots of stationary. We played with the kids for awhile and ate lunch with them. I think it is the first time I have been to an orphanage and so I really didn't know what to expect, but it was nice. They kids were all polite, clean and spoke a decent amount of English (not their native language). Apparently the nun who runs the orphanage pushes education and several of her girls have studied abroad and gone to college after leaving the orphanage. Anyhow, it was nice to see where the money is going.

Sri Lanka is interesting, and I wish I had more time here. I think in Singapore 1 day was enough to give me a taste of it, but 1 day in Sri Lanka is a crime! We have been wandering around Colombo on foot for the last few hours and it's busy and interesting, but I don't really understand it yet.

Bad news- The Indian Ocean is very rough and I got seasick again (for 2 days), but this time half the ship joined me in my misery. I'm told the Arabian sea is like glass though. Keep your fingers crossed.
Good news- I am going to be staying in a Palestinian refugee camp in Jordan with a host family. I didn't think I would be allowed to go because there weren't enough host families but they found more! Yeah!
More good news- I have been given a malaria medication that is not Lyrium, which means I won't be going insane. Yeah.
Other news- I have been learning to Salsa dance, gone to scrapbook making class, and seen dolphins!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home