Carissa's Exploits and Fabulous Adventures




Japan Round Two

Friday, May 27, 2005

Blogging from a boat
I’m sitting in a little room that is even with the water in a giant ship that is a representation of the world. Or perhaps the world the way we would like it to be: friendly, cooperative, motivated, excited and happy. This ship is definitely full of optimists, people who truly believe the world’s problems can be fixed. I didn’t realize how cynical I had become about the problems in the world. Maybe I was being a realist, but I don’t think that the people I am surrounded by are crazy idealists. They believe peace is an obtainable option, given enough effort. And I guess that is what is moving me away from my cynicism—realistic solutions to problems. Things that are obtainable and do-able for an individual. Allen told me today that peace is like going to the moon. Someone imagined it, lots of people doubted it, but it became a reality. He said that if people think about peace it also can become a reality.
P.S. Thanks to everyone who donated books for the Sri Lankan school. We are going to auction them off to passengers on the ship. The passengers will write a note inside the books, maybe even their address, give the books back to us and we will give them to the school/orphanage/community center. We will also be able to give them the money we fundraise. It is an awesome event and will make a huge difference.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home