Carissa's Exploits and Fabulous Adventures




Japan Round Two

Friday, May 20, 2005

I don't even officially start my job until tomorrow (4 more hours without insurance) and my boss already thinks I lied. Apparently during the interview they asked me if I get sea sickness. Of course I don't. I am strong and have great sea legs and would never succumb to something as silly and embarrassing as sea sickness. I'm sure that during the interview I confidently assured my future employers of this fact. So I guess maybe I did lie. I stepped onto the ship this morning and within the first minute was starting to feel ill. After an hour I felt like I was living in "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas." Colors and shapes were blurring together, the world was rocking, the angles were all wrong and people stopped making sense. I got off the boat for lunch and things started to connect in the proper ways; I got back on the boat and was immediately sucked into a twisted version of Hunter S. Thompson's mind. I am assured that everyone adjusts to the motion within a few days, lets all cross our fingers because it's a long swim home.

Other than feeling a bit like Dorothy, the boat is awesome awesome awesome! My room is much bigger than I expected (it's like a football stadium, only smaller). I have 2 roommates- 1 from Mexico and one from Japan. My Mexican roommate is the Spanish Teacher and told me "Mi casa solo Espanol." (despite my bad spelling it means I'm only supposed to speak Spanish in the room... we'll see). The people onboard are amazing(the crew are from 28 different countries). There are 2 swimming pools, a jacuzzi, a basketball court, a theatre, numerous restaurants and no shortage of bars or happy hours (although the happy hours start tomorrow so no details yet...coming soon). I taught a demo lesson today and it was such a nice feeling to be teaching again, it's only been a few weeks since I last taught but it seems like ages. The students were really motivated and excited. Tomorrow is the departure and we get to throw streamers overboard and wave to the people we are leaving (I'm going to wave to strangers and pretend they are my friends and family). It will be like a movie scene (complete with champagne parties). It would really be hard to describe how I feel right now. I'm so excited and happy and nervous and overwhelmed. It's incredible though. A really wonderful feeling.

I won't be updating my blog much because I would have to sell a kidney to afford the internet on the ship (I've become rather attached to my kidneys and don't really want to say good-bye) . So please excuse the lack of blogging action (I haven't fallen overboard) and the tardiness of e-mail replies (I don't hate you). I would love to receive mail though (hint hint hint). And if anyone is going to be in a port around the same time as me drop me a line because I would love to see you!

The Journey Begins.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home