Carissa's Exploits and Fabulous Adventures




Japan Round Two

Monday, July 04, 2005

It is 1:30 in the morning. I just watched the sunset on deck. I finished dancing in the Sports Bar at 1am and went outside before bed and was shocked to see the sun just going down. The wind from the east was blowing strong, but the west side of the boat was protected and calm. It was incredibly beautiful, if not a little bizarre. Also strange is that the sun is going to rise at 5am; in 4 hours it will be day again. The ocean is so vast that usually there is nothing on the horizon in any direction. I have grown use to being completely alone in the ocean (well, completely alone with 1,000 other people). Tonight there were many boats dotting the horizon. I could see their lights as the sun disappeared. On a slightly different note, tonight we had a party in the Sport’s Bar (I make that sound as if it is an unusual thing, when it is not). I was dancing with Germans, French, an Israeli, a Palestinian, a Serb, Australians, Canadians, Americans, Japanese. Someone turned to me and asked if I would have ever expected to see a German and an Israeli dancing together. I suppose I never thought about it, but if I had I certainly would not have pictured it happening in the North Sea. On a boat. I love this ship because it brings so many people together from different backgrounds. If it weren’t called the Peaceboat I think it would have to be called the Inclusiveboat, because nowhere else in the world is there a place where people from so many nationalities, backgrounds, social groups, economic groups and ages can spend time together. But now it is late and I need to go to bed. Tomorrow I will be in Norway! Yeah!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home