Carissa's Exploits and Fabulous Adventures




Japan Round Two

Monday, July 11, 2005

So often I feel that even though there are things I want to do, the problems are too large, the world is too big and I am only one person. Even when I feel inspired there are so many obstacles in the way that it is easy to become frustrated and give up. However today I finally did something to combat that feeling, in myself and in others. Although small, I created an avenue for action. Maybe it won’t change the world, but it will give many people an outlet for their feelings. And perhaps in the long run it might influence someone or something. With my Palestinian friend Niveen, I started a campaign called Postcards for Palestine. We are encouraging everyone on the boat to write a postcard to the Japanese embassy in Israel and the Israeli embassy in Tokyo protesting the building of the apartheid wall and urging them to support Palestinian civil society and oppose Israeli aggression. We sold 50 postcards today and we are going to have 2 more events before New York and then another event before every port. I won’t know if the postcards have any impact, but I was very happy to finally do something and to help other people do something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home