Carissa's Exploits and Fabulous Adventures




Japan Round Two

Monday, March 07, 2005


Yesterday was lovely. I am on a last minute rush to fit everything I haven't experienced in Japan into my last few weeks and I managed t0 check a few more things off the list yesterday. Two mothers that I teach English to picked me up and we went to a flower show. It is amusing that I know a lot of the flower names in Japanese but when the mothers asked me what it is in English I have no idea. My ability to speak English is fading quickly. After the flower show we went to a 200-year old garden in the middle of Fukui. It was beautiful and very peaceful (although it's still winter so there aren't a lot of things in bloom besides the plums). Then we went window-shopping (I think the mothers just wanted an excuse to use that word because I taught it to them and they try to throw it into conversation whenever possible). Finally we made it to dinner which was an amazingly delicious Japanese style meal (the common thread between all the courses seemed to be the baby eels which may look gross but are really delicious). It was my going away dinner. I can't believe that I am leaving soon enough to already be having going away dinners. I figure that I have spent 30% of my adult life in Japan and so it has influenced who I am now. Although I feel like I am done with what I wanted to do in Japan and I am looking forward to the next adventure part of me doesn't really want to leave. This is home right now, I'm not just a tourist, and leaving is going to be difficult. The continuous battle between wanting to stay in the present and jump to the future all at the same time.
 Posted by Hello

1 Comments:

  • At 3:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    was it a traditional tea ceremony meal with the eel? cause i was watching iron chef and they had to make a tradional tea ceremony meal with a giant eel!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home