Carissa's Exploits and Fabulous Adventures




Japan Round Two

Wednesday, February 18, 2004

The locker room of the Washington Hotel Gym in Fukui shall from this moment forth be known as the "Talk to the naked Gaijin in super-speed Japanese Room".

Monday, while sitting in the sauna relaxing, an older Japanese lady started a conversation with me. Generally I like to practice my Japanese, so I don't mind too much. I understood most of the conversation, until it turned into a rant about different -bens (dialects) and how I used Tokyo-ben, and I probably couldn't understand Fukui-ben. She then demonstrated this by using 5 minutes of Fukui-ben to which I smiled and tried to think of a good excuse to escape the heat of the sauna and the onslaught of Japanese.

Today was even funnier though. I was sitting on my little pink plastic stool showering (it is the Japanese way of showering, crouch on a stool in a room full of other people crouching on stools and try not to slip off) and a woman asked (in Japanese) if I was a Gainjin (foreigner). I gave her this look of "What are you talking about? You don't honestly think I'm Japanese?" She then said "You aren't Japanese" which really seemed redundant to me, so I just nodded my head. She asked where I was from, then asked if I was married. The fact that I am not married must have been significant because it inspired another rant. But the strangest thing was that she had a friend sitting on a little blue plastic stool on the other side of me, and a friend sitting in the bath behind us. The three of them started having a loud conversation about... you guessed it: ME! I don't know excactly what they were saying, but I caught the word America every once in awhile.

I love talking to people in Japanese, its a challenge, and a rare opportunity to practice my Japanese. Most people want to practice their English on me. However what I fail to understand is why no one initiates conversations with my when I am dressed. I will exercising, changing, doing my hair, sitting in a massage chair and no one says a word to me. But the second I am not wearing clothes and showering all of the little old ladies flock to me and start talking. It's a good thing I'm not shy, or I would be afraid of that locker room.........

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home