Carissa's Exploits and Fabulous Adventures




Japan Round Two

Monday, March 28, 2005

I went to Katsuyama today to visit with Buddha and sample some of the best Curry in Japan (or at least the best in Katsuyama).

The Daibutsu (or big Buddha) in Katsuyama is utterly amazing! It is the largest cast-metal statue in the world (if we are going to believe the guides which I have an odd tendency to do). Big Buddhas are really cool so I was looking forward to the trip (with Ruan acting as my own personal tour guide of beautiful Katsuyama), but I wasn't prepared for it to be soooo cool. To set the stage-- it was a lovely, rainy Japanese Monday so most people were either working (so many productive people in this country) or hiding from the weather. The grounds of the temple were virtually empty. Katsuyama is a cute (possibly even quaint) little town nestled into the mountains. There was still snow on the ground, the mountains had clouds wandering slowly around them, and the wind had a nip of winter left in it. The Daibutsu is in a massive building and has 2 huge boddhisatvas on either side standing guard. The Buddha himself is 17 meters tall (in a country of short people that's saying something). There are little shelves carved into 3 of the walls (floor to ceiling) which house over 1,200 other statues of Buddha's. The whole effect was stunning. Every step I took echoed off the walls and ceiling (causing the one other person inside to shush me). A very cool trip. Embarrassing that I have lived in Fukui for so long with out ever going to see it though. It's funny how when things are close by you put off seeing them because you can go at anytime (still several museums in DC that I never got around to visiting).

After viewing the Daibutsu we went to the 5-storied pagoda (the tallest 5-stories pagoda in Japan). I was just starting to think that wearing boots with heels wasn't the best idea if I was going to climb 5 stories (very tall stories) to the top. Then we found the elevator and I remembered why Japan rocks! They love modern conviences in this country and I love them for loving them (and if that made sense to you you might need to get more sleep).

We attempted to visit the Dinosaur museum but it was just about to close (no Dinosaurs today). We did get to see some statues of dinosaurs on the grounds (some of them even wore clothing apparently). A nice way to spend a rainy Japanese afternoon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home