Carissa's Exploits and Fabulous Adventures




Japan Round Two

Friday, March 25, 2005

Walking on a cloud....

I got the Peaceboat job!!!! I am so excited and happy!!!! I don't think I will be able to use enough exclamation points in this blog to truly express my incredible joy, but I am certainly going to try!!!! It was actually a bit of a surprise as I didn't think the interview on Sunday went very well. The model lesson was fine, but the interview was a wandering mess of me saying the wrong things (sorry I don't know Paul Wolfowitz's resume). I had slept on a night train the night before and had very little sleep the whole previous week so I was starting to crash a little. But they must have thought it was better than I did (or maybe they could see through the sleep-deprived haze and sense what a fabulous person I am) because I GOT THE JOB!!!!! Everyone should go to www.peaceboat.org and look at the information for the 49th voyage because that is the one I am going to be on! They even keep a blog during the voyage so you can stay updated on 2 sites!

I will be leaving Tokyo on May 21. Then we will travel to (in order of appearance) Hong Kong, Vietnam, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Jordan, Egypt, Greece, Italy, Spain, France, Norway, Ireland, New York City, Jamaica, Panama, Costa Rica, Mexico, Vancouver, and Alaska before finally returning to Japan on August 31. It's not an easy job (I teach a lot of classes every day, organize a lot of stuff, attend a lot of activities, and don't get much down-time) but it is such an amazing opportunity. Every port we pick up guest speakers who stay for a few weeks giving lectures and seminars. The guests on the ship (as well as the teachers) are encouraged to organize their own activities (everything from thai massage, to candle making and who knows... maybe even under-water basket weaving). We get to spend a few days in every port doing a whole variety of activities from meeting with NGOs to volunteer work to shopping and sightseeing! I have to take Lyrium (Malaria medication) too!

I can't believe that I actually got it, it seems like one of those things that happens to other people. I'm waiting for someone to shake me, tell me I'm late for work, and laugh at my funny dream. But then I suppose sometimes living in Japan seems like a dream too. Japan always seemed so exotic and distant when I was a kid and now I'm living here. And soon I will cimcumvent the globe like an old-time explorer! I think I am going to go float around my apartment smiling like the cheshire cat for awhile now.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sounds like you are having a great time.

     
  • At 10:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good for you Carissa. I totally told you you would get the job. Have tons of fun.
    Love,
    Christy

     

Post a Comment

<< Home